In addition to being a beautiful, modern healthcare facility, reminiscent of an Italian villa as opposed to a hospital, The Chester County Hospital also has a remarkable history.
Established in 1892, ours was Chester County's first hospital. It was situated, initially, on the north side of Marshall Street across from Marshall Square Park.
Thanks to the generosity of Pierre S. du Pont of Wilmington, Delaware, construction for the present-day Chester County Hospital opened in 1925 at its current location. Mr. du Pont was so impressed with the care which his friend and employee Lewes Mason received, that he donated one million dollars to construct an entirely new hospital in Mr. Mason's memory.