Signs of Stress
Recognizing and reacting to these signs will make you and your baby happy!
- Arching his/her back
- Flailing movements
- Extension of the arms and legs
- Finger splaying
- Gaze aversion
- Panicked or worried look
- Tremors or jittery movements
- Color Changes: Red or Blue Skin Color Changes in Vital Signs: Heart Rate, oxygen saturation, blood pressure, respiratory rate
- Place a hand at his/her head and/or feet.
- Bring his/her hands together.
- Let him/her suck on their thumb, fingers, or hand.
- Wrap him/her in a blanket tightly.
- If baby is in a crib, holding and rocking may be effective. Also try gently tapping his/her bottom and/or shushing her.
The Chester County Hospital Lactaction Consultants: 610.738.2582
The Chester County Hospital NICU's Support in Lactation and Kangaroo Care (SILK) program was created in 2010. It is adapted from the UCSD SPIN Program 9/08.
Last Updated: 6/23/2011