The following web content was gathered from the January 2013 Health Bulletin published by the Philadelphia Department of Public Health.
English Version PDF >
Spanish Version PDF >
The Chester County Health Department has resources and information about the flu and immunizations.
Chester County Health Department: Walk-in Immunization Clinics >
Vaccines are the best way to prevent the flu. Some symptoms of the flu can include sore throat, coughing, runny nose, fever, chills, headaches, tiredness, body pain, vomiting and diarrhea.
If you get the flu vaccine, it can help keep you and others from getting sick. It is important to get a vaccine before you get sick.
How is flu spread?
Flu is spread from person to person through coughing or sneezing of sick people. Sometimes people can get the flu by touching something like a door knob that has flu germs on it and then touching their mouth, nose or eyes before washing their hands.
How do I prevent the flu?
- Get vaccinated. A flu vaccine is the best way to prevent the flu.
- Wash your hands! It will help protect you from germs.
- Avoid being around sick people. You can get the flu if a sick person coughs or sneezes around you.
- Try not to touch your face. Germs spread when a person touches something that has germs on it and then touches their eyes, nose or mouth.
- Practice other good health habits. Get plenty of sleep, stay physically active, manage your stress, drink fluids and eat healthy.
What should I do if I get the flu?
- Stay home when you are sick. When you are sick, stay home from work and school to protect others from getting sick. Wear a facemask or handkerchief to cover your mouth and nose if you have to go out.
- Cover your cough. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and then throw away the tissue.
- Do not allow visitors. Ask friends and family not to visit while someone is sick at home.
- Take care of yourself. Drink plenty of fluids and rest as much as possible.
- Go to the emergency room if you get very sick.Go to the emergency room if you have any of the following warning signs:
- Trouble breathing
- Blue or gray skin color
- Not waking up
- Cough and fever get worse
- Severe dizziness
- Pain in the chest
- Not drinking enough fluids
Last Updated: 1/16/2013