Home > About The Hospital > Community Health Needs Assessment
Bi-lingual Health Care Provider and Translators
KEY FINDING #2:
More than one in 10 residents (11.4%) in Chester County speak a language other than English at home. Based on input from the Hispanic community, the health care and social service system across the county has too few Spanish-speaking health care providers and translators. Consequently, there is a perceived lack of sufficient explanation of health issues, care and treatment options.
- TCCHHS will continue to offer a culturally-sensitive and certified on-site interpreter service for the population of Spanish-speaking residents and patients in the service area with the goal of reducing potential barriers to care, improving health literacy, and increasing both patient satisfaction and patient compliance
- In FY2014, TCCHHS will provide financial support to this program, including language line expenses, of $157,000.
- All Hospital-based interpreters will be formally certified by the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters byApril 2015. (To-date, two interpreters have been certified.)
- TCCHHS will provide financial funding for a primary care practice in Kennett Square, PA -- Kennett Primary Care -- that serves a predominantly Latino population. This practice, with board certified family practice physicians and a bi-lingual staff, offers excellent primary and preventive care and easy access for the local community.
- TCCHHS will design and launch a new section on the ChesterCountyHospital.org website to welcome Spanish-speaking patients and explain the programs and services available at TCCHHS.
- Webpages to be launched by June 2014.
- The Joint Commission, the national accrediting body for hospitals, has published standards on "Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient and Family-Centered Care."
- TCCHHS will review these standards, conduct a gap analysis by June 2013, and implement steps in FY2014 to comply with any new Joint Commission requirements.
- This initiative also addresses Strategic Question #1 on cultural competence.
Last Updated: 6/27/2013