Home > About The Hospital > Community Health Needs Assessment
Obesity Prevention and Management
KEY FINDING #4:
While the percentage of overweight adults in Chester County is lower than the statewide average (56% vs. 64%), the rate remains high. Organizations across the county need to continue efforts to encourage and support individuals to take action in their own health management and well-being, including prevention.
- TCCHHS approaches community-based wellness and education programs across a wide spectrum of health needs in order to maintain Chester County';s ranking as the healthiest county in Pennsylvania. TCCHHS commits to providing appropriate and culturally-sensitive educational outreach including health screenings and programs addressing healthy lifestyles to at-risk populations using existing and new community partnerships (e.g. Activate Chester County/West Chester, faith-based communities and other identified community-based groups).
- TCCHHS has an operating expense budget for Community Health and Wellness Programs that is projected to be $392,198 in FY2014 including 3.40 full-time equivalent (FTE) employees.
- To further expand its on broad network of community providers, TCCHHS will establish partnerships with at least four (4) faith-based communities and/or organizations annually.
- TCCHHS will provide educational outreach aimed at early detection and reduction of modifiable chronic disease risk factors in areas of cancer prevention, cardiovascular health, diabetes, smoking cessation and weight management. TCCHHS will strive to offer 400 such programs in FY2014 reaching approximately 9,000 members of the community
- Neighborhood Health, a subsidiary of TCCHHS, will continue to partner with community-based organizations to offer monthly health education programs to the community with topics including fall prevention, high blood pressure, nutrition, stroke and dental care. Topic selection and new programs will be tailored to meet the specific audience and the needs of the community.
- In FY2012, NHA offered programs to 12,626 community members at 39 partner sites including senior centers, nursing homes, assisted living centers, YMCAs and food cupboards.
Last Updated: 6/27/2013