Home > Medical Services > Hospital Employed Practices > Penn Ob/Gyn > Obstetrics
Things to Avoid
- Do not smoke -- Smoking raises your risk for miscarriage, premature birth, low birth weight and many other problems.
- Do not use drugs -- Cocaine, heroin and marijuana increase your risk of miscarriage, premature birth and birth defects. And your baby could be born addicted to the drug you have been using.
- Do not drink alcohol -- Drinking alcohol during pregnancy is the major cause of preventable birth defects, including mental slowness.
- Do not clean your cat's litter box, or eat raw or undercooked red meat --You could get toxoplasmosis, a disease that can cause birth defects.
- Do not sit in the sauna or hot tub -- This raises your risk of miscarriage and birth defects.
- Do not douche --Douching could force air into the vagina, which can cause an air embolism.
Last Updated: 10/25/2013