Home > Medical Services > Women's and Children's Health > Maternity > Nursery Discharge Instructions
- Breastfed babies need to nurse every 2 - 3 hours (a minimum of 8 times in 24 hours). At least one of these feedings should occur during the night.
- You should wake your baby if he/she sleeps longer than 4 hours.
- Your baby should nurse for 15 - 20 minutes on at least one breast at every feeding. Signs of successful breastfeeding are a good latch, strong suck and swallow you can hear.
- The number of wet diapers and bowel movements will increase with each day as breastfeeding is established.
- The Chester County Hospital Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU): 610.431.5394
- The Chester County Hospital Lactation Consultants: 610.738.2582
Support in Lactation and Kangaroo Care (SILK) Information:
Last Updated: 12/27/2013