Home > Medical Services > Women’s and Children’s Health > Maternity > Postpartum Discharge Instructions
Care for your Episiotomy
- Episiotomies take four or more weeks to fully heal.
- During this time it is ok to take a shower or tub bath.
- Change your sanitary napkin or pad frequently to avoid infection.
- Rinse and clean the episiotomy with lukewarm water two to three times daily and after each urination or bowel movement using the peribottle (given to you by the hospital).
- Use a sitz bath or a handheld shower attachment to cleanse the episiotimy.
- Use antiseptic spray or cream for relief
- No vaginal douching until after your first postpartum visit.
Last Updated: 12/30/2013